Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Some time ago in Finland we had stevedores' strike and as the result the stores ran out of olive oil (except the really expensive ones of course). I had a compelling urge to make some soap so I had to choose from a very limited selection of oils. I picked up a sesame oil made of roasted sesame seeds. The oil was deep dark brown and I was intrigued how it would behave in soaping.
Well, it was not easy. While I was stickblending it happened several times that I had trace which soon dissolved. I stickblended more, had a trace and again it dissolved. After some pretty serious stickblending I had a trace which I considered not to be false. I put the pot in the oven and everything seemed to go on just fine. I kept checking it about every 5 minutes. Suddenly after 30 minutes the soap appeared to be completely separated! I took it out of the oven and stirred slowly by hand and after a while managed to get it together again. Still, the soap was worth all the trouble.
40 % Sesame oil
26% Coconut oil
17% Canola oil
17% Cocoa Butter
10% Super Fat
30% water as percent of oil weight
8% coconut milk as percent of oil weight (added after the cook)
Oven hot process